Friday, November 5, 2010

Nutty Wreath

After seeing a few really cute acorn wreaths out in blog land, I decided I wanted to make one. All the tutorials tell you to go gather some acorns from your yard or a nearby park. Unfortunately I live in the desert and acorns are nowhere to be found. “No big deal,” I thought, “I will just buy some online. You can get anything online, I’m sure I can find some acorns for sale.” I was right, you can find acorns for sale online…FOR $20 BUCKS A POUND!!! No thanks, I needed a cheaper alternative.
The very next day, I got my daily craft email from Martha Stewart and she had a great wreath made from hard shelled nuts so I decided I would do this instead. The grocery store had assorted hard shelled nuts for $4 a pound. I bought approx. 4 pounds and  I got a flat wooden wreath form from Michaels and started hot gluing the walnuts to it.
074
After covering the whole thing with walnuts I just filled in the spaces randomly with the other nuts.077
When I was all done, I just tied on a bow and it was done. I am not loving the bow. I think I might look for some wider ribbon and do a regular bow instead. But here it is for now:
091
I like it because it reminds me of my grandma’s house during the holidays. She always had a big bowl of these nuts sitting on the hearth. I would sit there by the fire cracking and eating nuts for what seemed like hours.

I'm linking up at:





Photobucket










Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. What a terrific idea! It looks wonderful hanging on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautifully! You've totally inspired me :)
    Visiting you from Tatertots and Jello.
    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made one with just acorns and painted it blue! but i love the natural look of all these nuts mixed together, its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea! I'd love for you to link this up to our holiday link up party! http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/2010/11/crazy-christmas-crafter-link-up-w.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!! I am your newest follower from the crafty link up! I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Take a peek at my giveaways if you come by. Everything is handmade and gorgeous!

    I love your blog title and banner. Your girls are gorgeous;) I'm pregnant with my first girl now:) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done - looks fabulous! I don't know where you found the time to do this!!!
    Jane x
    PS Your girls and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im your newest follower!
    and i also linked this up on my blog!! as me fav! hope you stop by...follow...and check it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete